Friday, September 29, 2006

What has really changed?

As I sit in the Accra Guest House awaiting the arrival of our good friends and former teammates, Frank and Jenna Bunner, I have been wondering if things will have changed very much through their eyes. It has been two years since they moved away from Tabligbo.

Still there may be a few notable changes . . .

The toll booths (that have been under construction for over a year) are now open! This should be a painless process . . . right! You enter the peage and stop to recieve your two-part ticket from the attendant, whom you hope is awake and willing to walk around to your window. You proceed to the toll booth, hand over your two-part ticket and your 300 cfa. The cashier will then stamp one half of the ticket, scribble something illegible on it and return that half to you, which you will add to the collection growing in the floorboard of the car. Passing through the toll exit you may notice there is yet another attendant taking a written tally of the cars passing through. It gives new meaning to the term "checks and balances".

There is another Leader Price open in AgoeNyive. A perfect stop on the way out of town. And you can purchase Kiri Cream cheese in a 8 oz. package now!

Some things never change: the potholes are still filled with trash, the goats and chickens still roam free and the children still bathe on a rock in the road.

The real change that counts is happening in the village churches. I hope it will be an encouraging scene for the Bunners to see that change is still occurring one heart at a time.

4 comments:

Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

we'll be looking for updates from you everyday during the week, twice on saturdays and sundays. this is serious business Louise!

Anthony Parker said...

Hey girl,
Great to welcome you to the blogosphere. Give our love to the Bunners and have a great time. Good thing we left Togo--I don't think I could keep up with the dizzying pace of change.
Love you all,
Anthony

Patty said...

Yay! and welcome! I can't wait to hear about what's going on! (No pressure)

Hug the Bunners for us and enjoy Frankie's Pizza for us.

Sandi said...

Hi, Louise!! I hope that we can keep in better touch this way...

I love you a lot and will look forward to reading your blog when you get a chance to write! Have fun with the Bunners!!

Sandi