
I recently bought a pink t-shirt. That may not seem like a big deal, but you see, I have never worn pink. It isn’t supposed to look good on a redhead. For some reason, though, I really wanted something pink. I think I wanted to remind myself that I am a girl. Living in a house full of males has diminished my girly-ness.
My friends that are mothers of all boy families know what I am talking about. (And there are an abundance of you:
For one thing, a mother of all boys had better know something about sports, if she doesn’t want to be left out. I have spent my share of afternoons throwing footballs and catching baseballs. It has been to my favor that my cousins, (all the kids my age were males on my Dad’s side of the family) taught me how to throw a spiral and how to close the glove on that ball. I have been amazed at how much Taylor (the silent one) will talk if I am on the receiving end of his passes.
Another thing that I have noticed is that our language is different. I find it effective to use sound effects when communicating with my boys. Add a few “Pow!”, “Brrrrr!”, “Splat!” or “”Zing!” to my discussion and I have all ears. One day I realized our family had engaged in a conversation that consisted of very few intelligible words, and the funny thing was we all understood each other.
Sometimes I have wondered what it must be like to have tiny nails to paint or little tresses to braid; to have someone to pass on my sewing knowledge to; someone to share the small, cute, quiet things in life with. I guess I will wait for daughter-in-laws and granddaughters for those things. For now I will enjoy throwing the pig-skin with my boys . . . while I wear my pink t-shirt.
7 comments:
great post! I think you would look great in pink. I LOVE the photo.
You have encouraged me to enjoy Corrie's girl-ness more, and Aaron and Josh's boy-ness more. Thank you, sister.
I remember when you found out that #4 was a boy. In response to all those "too bad it's not a girl" comments, you responded, "Y'all, I'm thrilled to have all boys. I feel like God has blessed me to raise men for him. I love my boys." And you do. Isn't it cool how God gives us just what we need? I wouldn't trade my girls for the world, but I do notice Edwin wears a LOT of blue!
Louise, your entry made my heart smile! I love your picture! I'm going to try the sound effects with my boys and see what reactions I get! You are a beautiful flower in the midst of your wonderfully put together rock garden (My adjustment of Hannah's comment at Sports Camp@!) Love you!
That's a great picture and you do look pretty in pink.
I love this post! I can definitely relate to living in an all boy household. :) I remember naively thinking when I was pregnant with Graham that I really didn't want another boy because "aren't they all the same"? Boy, was I wrong! They are each unique and a blessing. Thanks for being such a great boy mommy role model for me. I look up to you more than you know!
Louise,
Like Tracey, I'm thankful for your example as a "boy mommy role model". I never pictured myself the mother of boys, but I had a lot of good training during my time in Togo just being around all of you guys. I do believe that God has given you a gift for raising boys -- always have! I love you. And love the picture.
I've always believed that it takes a very special woman to be the mother of all boys and a very special man to be the father of all girls. (Not that parenthood in general doesn't require a whole lot of special-ness.) May God continue to bless you in the special role he has blessed you with!
Post a Comment