Wednesday, November 15, 2006

They Didn't Count The Costs

The talk was on the street again that the Togolese Government didn't buy enough hydroelectric power from its neighbors, Ghana and Benin. Last week we started noticing that the power outages were coming more regularly and could only guess what that might mean. Sure enough, a representative from the electric company showed up with a schedule for the next month of when Tabligbo will be shut off. (That's the first time they have ever notified us, so that is one improvement.) Roughly six hours off, eighteen on. So I have spent the day trying to get everything done that requires power before 6:00 tonight.

Oh, and all this just in time for my in-laws to visit! It was during their first visit here that we had our first experience with rationing. Dejavu! Anna, it looks like you will have reason to camp under the mango tree again.

6 comments:

Anthony Parker said...

May the harmatan winds provide cool evenings during your power outages. May your generator start when you need it. May you never repeat the outages of '98. May God continue to honor you for your faithfulness.

Kelly Vaughn said...

I am so glad to discover your blog! This is my nightly tradition to read blogs! I love keeping in touch with family and friends via blogs and now I can keep up with you! We have been having the same problems with power and water. I am wondering if I would receive the same word you have if I asked the electric company! Yikes!
Oh well at least there are many other perks to living in West Africa!
Love and blessings Louise,
Kelly

Rhonda said...

Lou,

I have been meaning to write for a long time. Hope you are doing well; sounds like you are. I wish we'd had more time in Tabligbo. Never enough!! May God continue to bless you all. That spiritual retreat sounds WONDERFUL!!!

Love,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Aunt Weezie,
I am so excited to see you and Uncle Marty blogging! It's just one more way to feel a little closer to the family I love so dearly. Not to mention, it makes me feel a little closer to the Africa I love so dearly! Have a great week!
Love, Maegan

Louise Koonce said...

Rhonda, thanks for stopping by. It is good to hear from you. I wish we had had more time also, but it was serendipidous having you in my home after almost 20 years. Blessings to you and Ed.
Love, Louise

Maegan, Good to hear from you. Are you blogging? If so, get me the address. How is school going?
I love you sweet niece,
Aunt Weeze

Sandi said...

Yikes, Louise! I checked every day for a while and then went to every other day and then I went 5 days, and you blogged my face off! Not really, don't worry.
I am so amazed by the wireless connection and so bummed for you with the power outages (bummed isn't quite a strong enough word). I love you and miss you.